- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Inquire for Booking
If you are looking for a beautiful escape from the daily chaos of bustling city then you must think of spending a relaxing weekend at an unknown rural hamlet of Kalimpong – Kaagey. Although it is situated just 21 km far from Kalimpong and at a distance of 15 km from Pedong still it is not exploited by the usual tourist rush. This beautiful hamlet offers a spectacular sunrise over the snow-clad peaks of Mt. Kanchenjunga. Kaagey – this hardly known less populated Lepcha village is enriched with a winding river, an elongated valley, a blissful monastery, an elegant church, a dense jungle, ever-flowing Jhakri waterfall, smiling faces of school going children, and culturally indigenous native villagers.
Whenever you are tripping Sillery gaon, Tinchuley, Rishikhola, Lava, Lolagaon or any other destination in and around Kalimpong then you may easily take a halt at Kaagey as all these destinations are very close to Kaagey. During your stay at Kaagey, you would love to indulge yourself in different recreational activities like –
- Nature as well as village walks,
- Being acquainted with the lifestyle of Lepchas,
- Talking with colorful birds,
- Running after the butterflies,
- Taking a shower in the waterfall,
- Trekking in the dense jungle, and
- Paying a short visit to the Monastery, Church and Shivalaya Mandir. All the places are at a walking distance from the homestay.
- Being situated near Kalimpong, Kaagey is easily accessible from its nearest New Jalpaiguri Railway station and Bagdogra Airport. Regular flights and express trains are available from Sealdah or Howrah railway station (Kolkata) and Netaji Subhas International Airport (Dum dum).
- From New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) you would get shared or private or hired car to reach directly Kalimpong via Teesta Bazaar. On your arrival at Kalimpong, you would get a chance to avail pickup services to finally arrive at Kaagey homestay.
- Till date there is only one homestay in Kaagey where you would be able to enjoy a comfortable stay at its well decorated and fully furnished double bedded rooms. Transport and guide services are also provided by Homestay owners.
- A freshly prepared homemade meal is served here with much care and affection. Organic vegetables are plucked from homestay's own kitchen garden.
Introducing myself with KaageyAs per my plan, I booked a ticket of Darjeeling Mail in advance and on scheduled date I boarded on the train from Sealdah Station. The train was running late and it reached at New Jalpaiguri Station on next morning at around 10 am (2 hrs late from its scheduled arrival). I took a hired cab from NJP and headed towards Kalimpong. At Kalimpong I relished the hot yummy momos and availed the pickup service of my pre-booked homestay. Finally I arrived in beautiful Kaagey in late afternoon. Friendly hosts of the homestay welcomed me with their smiling faces and they took me to a neatly arranged room allotted for me. A mouth-watering lunch was awaited for me so I took an early shower and finished my lunch quickly. As per the suggestion of my host, in late afternoon I went out to attend the evening prayer of the local church of Kaagey. It is an elegant church amidst the village and local dwellers assemble here for regular prayers. I attended the prayer and inhaled the essence of spirituality and serenity of Kaagey. Then I took a tour around the nearby Lepcha village Gerok. Heartily interactions with the villagers gave me a chance to know more about the tradition and culture of Lepchas. Caring hosts of my homestay served me a lavish dinner that was prepared with sheer love and affection. After dinner I rushed into the warm quilt and had a sound sleep in the chilly weather of Kaagey.
Explore the beauty of KaageyAt Kaagey my morning was started by witnessing an unforgettable sunrise over the Mt. Kanchenjunga. This memorable sunrise was accompanied by a mug of hot coffee and a healthy breakfast. My hosts already arranged a guide for me for sightseeing so without any delay I wore my jackets quickly and went out of my room to explore the beauty of this small unknown village. The long walk through this majestic hamlet let me connect my soul easily with nature. I was astonished by the tiny households, flowering gardens, uncountable number of colourful birds and butterflies, small school, smiling kids and scenic beauty of Kaagey. After a 15 mins' walk, my guide took me to a 50 feet Jhakri falls where many children, local people, and some other tourists were taking a shower as well as playing with the sparkling water. As I have to explore the other places too so I debarred myself from soaking myself in the waterfall. Then at a distance of 3 km, we reached at a local Monastery whose serenity and calmness gifted me a token of eternal peace. Our next destination was Ramtey Dara viewpoint from where I was enchanted by the longest view of Teesta river that meanders below the gorge. Adjacent to it there is Deoli Dara view point that offers a widening view of East Sikkim and surrounding snow-capped mountain peaks. Just before lunch time, I returned back to the homestay and after finishing another healthy lunch I packed my bag and started my journey towards next destination. On prior request you would get pickup facility from the homestay up to Kalimpong from where you would easily get hired or shared car to reach Siliguri or NJP or any other destination. In whichever season or for how many days you are having a relaxing holiday in Kaagey its unique beauty and versatile elements will never let you disappoint for once.
For details contact the local host.
For details contact the local host.
- StartEndGroup SizePrice
No Details Found